October 8, 2020
In this report, we consider the impact this would have on the Malaysian economy in terms of trade, investment, and industrial collaboration. This report consists of five Parts:
- Part 1 assesses the existing economic relationship between Malaysia and Taiwan;
- Part 2 assesses the provisions within the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), in the context of the existing trade barriers between Malaysia and Taiwan;
- Part 3 assesses the impact of Taiwan joining CPTPP by analyzing the trade structure between Malaysia and Taiwan and how this could be impacted by the membership of CPTPP;
- Part 4 estimates the aggregate impact of Taiwan joining CPTPP using CGE methodology; and
- Part 5 provides a deep-dive assessment of the impact of Taiwan joining CPTPP on Malaysia’s efforts to embrace the Fourth Industrial Revolution.