The Global Trade and Innovation Policy Alliance (GTIPA) represents a network of more than 50 world-leading think tanks dedicated to advancing a positive view of trade, globalization, and innovation for the benefit of the global community. The GTIPA’s annual summits bring together alliance members with world-leading experts to explore creative solutions to the difficult economic, trade, and innovation challenges facing the international community.
Watch the opening ceremonies live at 8:00 PM EDT on October 26th (9:00 AM KST, October 27th) for a keynote speech from ITIF's President Rob Atkinson along with remarks and a panel discussion surrounding industrial, trade, and innovation policies. Day 1 of the event will also be livestreamed here for those who are unable to make it.
GTIPA Agenda, Day 1 (Thursday, October 27)
09:30–10:00 KST — Opening Remarks
Dr. Hae-Gu Jung, NRC Korea Chairperson; Dr. Hyeon Ju, President of KIET; Stephen Ezell, Vice President of ITIF; Mukyeong Han, Member of the National Assembly
10:00–11:00 KST — Keynote Speeches
Rob Atkinson, President of ITIF; Gwangdoo Kim, President of ifs POST
11:15–12:30 KST — Panel Discussion: Industrial, Innovation & Trade Policies in the Era of Great Transition
The era of Great Transition requires most countries to recalibrate their industrial, innovation and trade policies. GTIPA members will discuss changes to industrial, innovation and trade policies in their countries and recommend future policies to overcome challenges of this transition.
- Discussants: Sean Randolph, Bay Area Council Economic Institute; Aaron Wudrick, Macdonald-Laurier Institute; Carolina Agurto Salazar, Fundación Idea; Hubertus Bardt, IW; Pietro Paganini, Competere; Kristy Hsu, CIER; Amit Kapoor, Institute for Competitiveness
- Moderator: Dr. Yong Kim
12:30–14:30 KST — Luncheon
15:00–18:00 KST — Panel Discussion: Industrial & Innovation Policies at a Crossroads
Building stronger strategic alliances amongst partner countries has never been more important given current economic challenges. Members of GTIPA will present their research on ways to strengthen strategic alliances on industrial and innovation policies between South Korea and GTIPA member countries in order to overcome this challenges together.
- Discussants: Syed Munir Khasru, IPAG; Rajat Khathuria, Shiv Nadar University; Andreas Larsson, STUNS; Marija Risteska, CRPM; Zhidas Daskalovski, CRPM
- Moderator: Kyungjin Song
Panel Discussion: Rethinking the Global Economy
Current trade issues such as supply chain disruptions after COVID-19 require new trade policy responses. Members of GTIPA will present their research on ways to strengthen strategic alliances on trade policies between South Korea and GTIPA member countries in order to deal with these issues.
- Discussants: Pradeep Mehta, CUTS-International; Kyungjin Song, FN Global Issues Center; Francis Quimba, PIDS; Chris Hattingh HATTINGH, Center for Risk Analysis; Natalia Gonzalez, Livertad Y Desarrollo; Rubayat E Shams Anik; IPAG; Pietro Paganini, Competere
- Moderator: Stephen Ezell
Panel Discussion: The Road to a Green Transition (Clean Energy Reports)
Converting economy into an environmentally friendly system is one of the most pressing policy issues to many nations and finding affordable sources of renewable energy is a key to successful green transition. GTIPA members will showcase their research on Clean Energy
- Discussants: Hubertus Bardt, IW; Stefano da Empoli, I-Com; Adrianna Sniadowska, THINKTANK; Ahmad Khoirul Umam, PPPI
- Moderator: Stephen Ezell
GTIPA Agenda, Day 2 (Thursday, October 28)
09:00–11:00 KST — Roundtable on Innovation & Entrepreneurship in Korea
An event for GTIPA members to get to know about innovation & entrepreneurship environment in Korea and meet startup CEOs. This event will start with an expert highlighting strength and weakness of innovation & entrepreneurship environment in Korea. Then, startup CEOs will showcase their business and share their view on Korean startup environment. This event will end with an open discussion amongst participants.
- Speakers: Jaegeun Lim, Director of the Evaluation Division, Seoul Metropolitan Government; Gunho Kim, English Editor, Korea Institute of Startup & Entrepreneurship Development(KISED); Seung Kim, CEO, Shukran Korea; Daeheum Park, Head of team, Visual Camp
- Moderator: Jaehan Cho